Everyone needs a good pancake recipe. This is an incredibly simple pancake batter that creates big, fluffy pancakes. The compote can be made out of any fruit that you have on hand- I happened to have some blood plums that needed to be used and the tartness of the blood plums turned out to be a nice twist to the traditional syrup and strawberries.
2 cups milk
2 Tablespoons lemon juice (or white vinegar)
2 Cups all purpose white flour
3 Tablespoons white sugar
2 Teaspoons baking powder
1 Teaspoon baking soda
3 Tablespoons melted butter
5-6 blood plums
2 ounces port
3 Tablespoons honey
2 Tablespoons white sugar
2 Tablespoons butter
For the Pancakes
1) In a separate bowl, mix the lemon juice and milk and set aside for a few minutes (this is souring the milk, making it similar to buttermilk)
2) Combine the rest of your ingredients and add milk mixture
3) Whisk until just combined and let rest for 3-5 minutes, you should see little bubbles start to form. Those bubbles are what make the pancakes nice and fluffy!
4) Lightly butter your griddle or pan and start cooking pancakes on medium heat. I like to use a 1/4 cup of batter per pancake
5) Flip the pancakes when you start to see small bubbles forming around the edges of your pancakes
For the glazed plums
1) Cut the stone fruit into thin wedges
2) Place the port, sugar, and butter into a pan on medium heat.
3) Once the butter has melted add the blood plums
4) Turn the heat to low and cover, let simmer gently for 10-15 minutes making sure to mix the compote every so often to avoid burning
Stack the pancakes, top with compote and sprinkle with powdered sugar and that’s it!