Occasionally, I really want homemade bread that I can shamelessly slather butter on. So, when a couple of my bananas got to that weird limbo stage where I didn’t want to eat them and I knew that I shouldn’t throw them out, it was banana bread time. I find most sweet quick breads too sugary for my liking so I wanted to make something that isn’t cloyingly sweet while still being delicious. This is a 100% whole wheat banana bread with oats, nuts, raw honey, and coconut oil. That’s right. No butter, no sugar and a lot of nuts and oats. And guess what- it’s dangerously delicious.
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup Muesli or Oatmeal
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/3 cup Honey
1/2 cup almond milk or preferred milk
2 eggs, whisked
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 overripe Bananas, mashed with a fork
1/4 cup of whatever mixed nuts and dried fruit you have on hand or a packet of good trail mix
1) Preheat oven to 350 deg F and grease a 9 inch cake pan
2) In a bowl, add all the dry ingredients together.
3) Add the rest of the listed ingredients, making sure to reserve a small handful of the trail mix.
4) Mix until just combined and spoon into cake pan. Add reserved trail mix to the top of the bread.
5) Bake on the top rack for 45 minutes or until a skewer poked into the center comes out clean.
6) Try and wait for it to cool before cutting it. Enjoy!